If you’ve ever been skincare shopping, you know how overwhelming it can be trying to find the right treatment for your skin type. Whether you have dry, oily, sensitive or combination skin, the struggle to find an effective product is frustrating. This page will go over a few ingredients to look out for when purchasing a product for your specific skin type. For example, if you have dry skin, you may want to invest in moisturizing ingredients. Or, if you are looking to repair aging skin, there are specific ingredients clinically proven to help rejuvenate damaged skin cells. A wise thing to do is determine what benefits you want. From there you can find the proper ingredients necessary to perfect your skin. Check out our list of popular skincare ingredients, separated into categories for you convenience.
Ingredients for Skin in Need of Hydration
Keeping the skin hydrated is one of the best things you can do to keep your skin feeling soft and wrinkle free. H2o is a huge component in the skin that keeps the cells functioning properly. When the skin dries out, skin cells can become damage or die causing the skin to wrinkle and damage. Adding a moisturizer to your routine is incredibly beneficial for all ages. Below is a list of ingredients to look for in popular moisturizers:
- Emollients – The best moisturizers will contain emollients. This is a group of chemical agents that are clinically proven to soften the outer layer of the skin by trapping in moisture and preventing moisture loss. These ingredients can come in a variety of different forms.
- Humectants – Humectants are used in cosmetics to attract moisture, unlock emollients that lock in moisture. A popular ingredient that contains natural humectants is glycerin. This is an important ingredient for anti-aging creams to reduce wrinkles & fine lines.
Best Ingredients for Skin Repair
Although there is no solution to keep from aging, there are ingredients that can help to turn back the clocks on the appearance of your skin. If you have signs of aging or free radical damage, these ingredients are effective for rejuvenating your skin back to health:
- Vitamin C – Your skin is made up of collagen & elastin which helps to keep the skin firm and wrinkle free. When you age, the skin breaks down and stops producing these essential proteins. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that boosts collagen minimizing fine lines, scars and sun damage.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Helps to keep skin tissue lubricated to maintain skin’s smooth texture. Reduces wrinkles & fine lines broken down from age damage.
- Retinol – This is a powerful form of vitamin A that supports skin cell regeneration. This is important for cell turnover to produce new and youthful skin
Ingredients for Dull & Uneven Skin Tone
When you age, the skin can start to look and feel dull. Hyperpigmentation, or uneven skin tones is a common result of aging. Here are a few ingredients to help brighten the skin.
- Green Tea Extract – Contains a natural caffeine that corrects uneven skin tones & brightens tired looking skin
- Citrus Extracts – Ingredients containing acidic acid are incredibly useful for treating hyperpigmentation.